Sunday, September 4, 2011

No baby named Irene - thank goodness!

Hurricane Irene came to visit us last week, along with most of the other East Coast residents.  Luckily, we sustained no damage to our house, just a bunch of leaves and branches fell.  We did have one plant casualty, but you'll have to check that out in the pictures. :)  Unfortunately, we did lose power for 3 1/2 days, which was not fun, but not nearly as bad as it sounds.  We had many friends to help us out during the power outage.  We put a lot of our freezer food into a friend's deep freeze; we did showers, laundry, and charging of electrical items at another friend's; and our neighbor (who we barely know) took some of our fridge food to their fridge, which they were running off a generator.  Everyone was very supportive.
The weather was fantastic (and had been all of August) - the nights were in the upper 50s to cool the house down, and the days were sunny with highs were in the low 80s.  I've never known the weather to be so good during a power outage.  The dark nights were boring, though.  Reading by flashlight isn't very fun.
The first night, when we lighted a candle, Jared came running over, yelled "Happy Birthday!", tried to blow out the candle, then asked for cake.  It had been over 1 1/2 months since his birthday - his memory is really improving!
I also had a serious talk with the new baby, and said that this was not the weekend (during the storm) to come out to see the world.  Luckily, the baby listened.

Speaking of storm babies, my friend Karin had her son on the Friday before Irene hit. (Saturday night - early Sunday morning was the worst of it here.)  Welcome Bobby!  They sent them back home to a house with no power, but luckily, they got it back a couple of hours later. (and they also had a generator, so that was good)

I don't know why, but I'm dragging my feet on this whole packing for the hospital thing.  I don't know if it's denial or what, but I am determined to get most of it done by this weekend.  The hospital gives you most of what you need anyway.  I do have my packing list printed out though - does that count? ;)
We're down to two boy's names and we agreed on our girl's name.  So at least we're almost done with that.

It's time to vote people!  Look up and to the right, and you'll see my baby's gender poll.  Just curious what your thoughts are.  I also have one going on my Facebook page.

Jared has been cute and frustrating as always.  Going down for naps continually gets harder.  But he does love to get a "big hug" from people, then gives a contented "ah" when he's done.
He also surprised some of Steve's coworkers at a BBQ, when he correctly identified a backhoe piece in a puzzle.  The kid knows his construction equipment.

Enjoy the new pictures.  The side-by-side preggo pictures are interesting.  I guess I look about the same this time as last time.
I'll try to keep you updated here and on Facebook with any labor news.

No comments: